Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Exam Procrastination

I am sitting in the library (luckily the fire alarm has not gone off yet). Tomorrow I have my first exam in “Business Strategies for sustainability” and the day after an exam in “Sustainability and Carbon Finance” – although I love both courses I find it very hard to actually study for the exams…

Anyway so today I started thinking about my upcoming birthday in less than one and half month and what I potentially wished as birthday presents (less peace on earth, more rainforest and less carbon dioxide emissions). However lost the thought of birthday presents after reading one of the papers for my class in business sustainability:

That… consumptions is no longer restricted to the necessities but, on the contrary, mainly concentrates on the superfluities of life… harbors the grave danger that eventually no object of the world will be safe from consumption and annihilation through consumption” (Arendt 1958)

And since I am planning to be on the top of Maslow’s pyramid…

The need for self-actualization, according to Maslow, becomes preeminent after the other four more basic needs are satisfied. It would seem that of the needs, self-actualization has he least predictable impact on consumer behavior. A person driven to achieve personal growth is more likely to spend a frugal life, perhaps retire to an ashram or monastery, than invest heavily in goods. The kind of persons Maslow used as models for self-actualization – Thomas Jefferson, Eleanor Roosevelt, Albert Einstein, Albert Schweizer – were not big spenders and in many ways strove to become independent of the market

Clearly it is on the top of the pyramid the big thinkers and genies are. Forget designer bags as symbols for indicating your superior and social worth and enhance your self-esteem. The real players strive for self-actualization – which actually requires less goods.

In sum – I need nothing for my birthday (except a greeting card I can recycleJ)

Several researchers have shown that excessive concern with financial success and material values is associated with lower levels of life satisfaction and self-esteem, presumably because such concerns reflect of “contingent worth” predicted on having rather than being

I hope I inspire

Quotes from the great article “The cost and benefit of consuming” by Mihly Csikszentmihalyi in the Journal of Consumer Research

No comments:

Post a Comment